[Zope-dev] github etiquette

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Sep 17 15:35:58 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:

>> > I think it's fine to merge own pull requests, provided that somebody
>> > +1'd it.  (Or if nobody cared for a couple of weeks, even after asking
>> > for feedback on the list.)
>>
>> I strongly prefer that the reviewer do the merge.
>
> FWIW the only reason I'm in favour of self-merges is that this
> short-circuits the "have you signed the ZF committer agreement?" dance.
> Only people who have can merge.

Sorry, I don't understand the point you're making.

> I also feel silly when I ask this question from people with very
> familiar names.  (I feel that I have to do when I don't see ZF
> membership on their GitHub profile.)

So are you saying you don't merge other people's code because
you don't want to ask if they're contributors?

I can understand this, but I'd still try to encourage a more review-centric
workflow.

Also, if a change is trivial, the PR doesn't have to be from a contributor.
I understand that triviality isn't always clear.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton