[Zope-dev] github etiquette

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Thu Sep 19 10:47:06 CEST 2013

Op 17-09-13 17:15, Marius Gedminas schreef:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:35:58AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:
>>> FWIW the only reason I'm in favour of self-merges is that this
>>> short-circuits the "have you signed the ZF committer agreement?" dance.
>>> Only people who have can merge.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't understand the point you're making.
>
> I'll try to explain better.
>
>>> I also feel silly when I ask this question from people with very
>>> familiar names.  (I feel that I have to do when I don't see ZF
>>> membership on their GitHub profile.)
>>
>> So are you saying you don't merge other people's code because
>> you don't want to ask if they're contributors?
>
> No.  I'm saying the reviewer-merges workflow looks like this:
>
> 1. Somebody creates a pull request
> 2. A reviewer reviews
> 3. OP fixes
> 4. Reviewer asks "have you signed the agreement?  if not please sign"
> 5. OP says he/she signed it
> 6. Reviewer trusts OP's word and merges
>
> (I don't have a good short word for "somebody who created the pull
> request", so I abused Original Poster.)
>
> Whereas I'd prefer
>
> 1. Somebody creates a pull request
> 2. A reviewer reviews
> 3. OP fixes
> 4. Reviewer says "looks good to me, feel free to merge (if you're not a
>     committer already, see http://foundation.zope.org/agreements)"
> 5. OP merges
>
> It's not a very strong preference.  I can feel myself changing my mind
> already ;-)
>
> OTOH the implicit trust in step 6 makes me a bit uneasy, and I'm not
> quite sure how to verify the fact of the signing.  Wait for the user to
> show up in https://github.com/zopefoundation?tab=members ?

Checking that list seems the best to me.

This could be a reason to prefer that the 'pull requester' creates a
branch in the original repository within the zopefoundation: if he can
do that, it proves he is authorized and has signed the agreement.

BTW, I have just now seen that I am on that list in the members tab, but
in the greyed out section, which I think means that non-members do not
see me listed.  There was a button 'Publicize membership' next to my
name so I clicked and am now in the top 'full-color' list.  :-)  Others
may want to do the same.

--
Maurits van Rees: http://maurits.vanrees.org/
Zest Software: http://zestsoftware.nl