[Zope-dev] A Tale of Two Repositories

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sat May 16 23:50:17 CEST 2015

On 05/15/2015 06:11 AM, yuppie wrote:
> Hi Tres,
>
> Tres Seaver wrote:
>> The CMF projects are in this state because one of the main developers is
>> unwilling to participate in the project if it moves entirely to
>> Github[2], but is willing to continue if a proposal is in place to
>> maintain a second public repository, against which his contributions
>> would be made[3].  This proposal aims to satisfy that request by hosting
>> the second, synchronized repository for each project using the new
>> Launchpad Git hosting option[4].
>
> thanks for working on this issue. I'm not very happy about the proposed
> solution because it makes the GitHub repository the primary repository
> and the canonical location for bug reports. But compromises never make
> everybody happy.

We could choose to leave bug reporting associated with the Launchpad
project.  That would make integration with the Plone projects somewhat more
difficult, but not impossible

For the repository: the key element of DVCS is that the "authoritative"
repository is the one on the maintainers' hard drive (from which she makes
releases).  As it happens, the "merge pull request" functionality on Github
makes an attractive shortcut, particularly for minor typo fixes.  Wiring up
Travis or other CI makes it plausible to merge even more substantive
changes from the UI.

> I'm happy about your proposal because it looks like a practicable
> solution everybody can live with.
>
>> 1) Create a Git repository from its Subversion history, and push that
>>    repository to Github;  this step will use the same scripts used for
>>    other ZF repositories.  E.g., the branches, tags, and trunk for
>>    ``Products.CMFCore`` will be hosted on Github at
>>    https://github.com/zopefoundation/Products.CMFCore
>
> There is one problem with the existing procedure: author information is
> lost for contributers without GitHub account. I don't know if this is a
> bug in the scripts or if the GitHub universe is a closed universe that
> has no provisions for handling information about people existing outside.
>
> Would be nice if this could be resolved. I consider it an unfriendly act
> to remove my name from all my contributions just because I'm no customer
> of GitHub Inc. And it makes history information less useful.

The conversion script takes a 'users.txt' file which has SVN username ->
e-mail address mappings:  the git commits then reflect those mappings.
After conversion, the onus will be on contributors to ensure that they
configure Git to know their e-mail addresses.

> Please note https://github.com/zopefoundation/Products.GenericSetup
> already exists, but is not in sync with the version in the Subversion
> repository.

I would plan to wipe out that repository and recreate it from SVN.

> And please don't forget the dev buildouts in http://svn.zope.org/CMF/.

Ugh.  I'll have to think harder about those.  Likely that becomes a
separate repository, as well.

Tres.
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com