[Zope-dev] Intercepting __getattr__ in a Python 2.3 old-style mixin class?

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leorochael at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:54:59 CET 2016

Hi Andreas,

As Hanno said, you'll still be in old-style-classes-land even in Python 2.7
unless you inherit from `object` directly.

You said:

My idea is to inject a common mixin class like
>     class Foo(Bar, Mixin):
>     class Mixin:
>         def __getattr__(self, k)
>            print repr(self), k
>            return Foo.__getattr__(self, k)

Your recursion error is caused by calling `Foo.__getattr__(self, k)` from
`Mixin`, but `Foo` inherits from `Mixin`. Calling a method of a subclass
from the same-named method in the superclass is a recurssion.

Instead `Mixin` needs to call `Bar.__getattr__` since `Bar` is the
superclass to `Foo`.

Alternatively, if you don't want to name any specific superclass inside the
mixin method, (and since you can't use `super()` since you're using
old-style classes), I suggest a different approach. Instead of a mixin
class, use a method factory, like this:

def my__getattr__factory(SuperClass):
>     def __getattr__(self, k):
>         print repr(self), k
>         return SuperClass.__getattr__(self, k)

Which you can then use as:

class Foo(Bar):  # <- No mixin

>     __getattr__ = my_getattr__generator(Bar)  # <- Bar, not Foo

Regards,

Leo