[Zope-dev] zope-tests - FAILED: 20, OK: 6

Jim Fulton jim at jimfulton.info
Thu Apr 13 15:06:48 CEST 2017

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 2:16 AM, Michael Howitz <icemac at gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 11.04.2017 um 14:50 schrieb Jim Fulton <jim at jimfulton.info>:
> […]
> > > It would be nice to have these ones on AppVeyor, too.
> >
> > And the six that are passing too.
>
> According to http://winbot.zope.org/builders there are many more builders
> which currently succeed.
> I didn’t even know that so many packages are tested using buildbot.
>
> It would cost a huge effort to migrate all of them (or at least the not
> deprecated ones) to AppVeyor.
> Maybe it would be easier to have a Zopefoundation AppVeyor account and
> create a build there if someone has a Windows only problem with a package
> or works on a package which contains C code.
> This would allow to disable the buildbot and have a strategy for upcoming
> Windows problems.
>
> What do you think?

I think we should leave them be for now.  I don't think we should be
seeking chores. I regret my comment about the "six". :)  In my defence, I
said "it would be nice" as opposed to "we must".  I also endorse dropping
tests for obsolete or unimportant packages with failing tests.

I don't think anyone has paid much attention to these emails, given how
long they've gone without change.  For the most part they're just spam.

Also, the fact that it's so hard to change the buildbot config (I tried and
failed for ZODB), means that if anyone actually cared about a project, they
would probably move it to appveyor. (Something that Travis and Appveyor
seem to get is that people who use CI often don't give a pit about CI, they
just want their software to work.  Looking at a Jenkins screen makes me
want to stop writing software.)

Having written the above ... IMO, we should give up on buildot, or at least
the automated emails. IDK if any Zope projects find it useful. Clearly the
ones whose tests have been failing forever don't. (As someone pointed out,
many of these are obsolete.)  I would leave it up to people who care about
packages to convert them, or to pay attention to buildbot.

I *greatly* appreciate the efforts of Adam and whoever else worked on
buildbot and generosity of the PSF (or was it rackspace) in providing
resources.  It's just not clear to me that it's providing benefit. <shrug>

If there's a way to create group accounts for Travis and Appveyor, I'd
wildly support using that.  I set up Appveyor for ZODB out of desperation
(and because I was making a change that was likely to provoke issues on
Windows).

Jim

--
Jim Fulton