[Zope-PAS] Re: RFC: PAS caching

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Sat Oct 9 06:37:22 EDT 2004

Hi,

Am Sa, den 09.10.2004 schrieb Jens Vagelpohl um 11:14:

> >> The other option is to have the PAS serve as the "cache manager" for
> >> its plugins;  the potential win is that the PAS might be able to
> >> avoid even consulting the plugins if it knew that a cached value was
> >> available. The current implementation at least contemplates this,
> >> although it is mostly commented out.
>
> This would most likely necessitate dirty circular interactions between
> plugins and PAS I am thinking. A plugin would handle a user update. Now
> the user must be thrown out of the cache, meaning the plugin would have
> to know and talk to the PAS instance :/

Well, this has to work anyway. No matter what the interface to
whatever cachemanager is. Currently I see no cachemanager
provided by stock zope which is capable of handling this reliable
(basically a write thru cache - even taking care of ZEO)
Since handling arbitrary objects to cache would be outside
the scope of PAS but all plugins would have to use a similar
cache - so instead of having each plugin implementing basically
the same kind of cache, I see a point in PAS providing
such a common API for caching. And be it just a stub for
potentially general cachemanager provided by zope some day.

Regards
Tino