[Zope-PAS] Re: User ID mangling question

Zachery Bir zbir at urbanape.com
Mon Oct 11 09:53:29 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-10 06:11:32 -0400, Jens Vagelpohl
<jens at dataflake.org> said:

> On Sep 14, 2004, at 16:20, Lennart Regebro wrote:
>
>> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>>> It is crystal clear that some mangling or some assigning of unique IDs
>>> has to happen because "jens from the LDAP plugin" isn't "jens from the
>>> ZODB plugin".
>>
>> I agree. And that returns us back to what I have been saying: It is the
>> enumeration plugins id that should prefix it, not the authentication
>> plugin.
>>
>> I think this would be quite easy to implement. In fact, I already have,
>> but it broke a number of tests, because an enumeration plugin was not
>> created for these tests. Now that I understand how the tests work, I
>> thik I can fix that as well. :)
>
> Lennart, is there any kind of working solution yet? I just sat down
> again to try and get the LDAPMultiPlugin to work and saw that the
> recent decisions wrt ID mangling haven't been implemented yet - at
> least looking at the CVS HEAD from a couple days ago. There's still
> automatc mangling all over the place.

I'm currently working on a branch that should be dealing away with id
mangling. It's conceivable that it will cause pain for existing PASes
in the wild, at least until some sort of migration is done to unify ids
within plugins (since they will want to all map between some common id
and whatever they deal with). For example:

  'users', a ZODBUserManager, has:

    .userid_to_login => { 'zbir' : 'zbir at urbanape.com' }

  'roles', a ZODBRoleManager, has:

    .principal_roles => { 'users__zbir' : ['Manager', 'Super Guy'] }

In a mangle-less PAS, we'll need some way for them to understand that
that's the same user now, since PAS won't be doing the busywork around
them.

In addition, all the local roles assignments now made on objects will
be using the mangled id.

There are several ways to go about a migration. The easiest case will
be a ZODB-based user manager, where the ids can all be updated to be
the (currently) PAS-mangled id. Then everything else that is keyed off
that mangled id will continue to work.

User stores that are not manageable through PAS or are read-only
(perhaps some SQL or LDAP based solution) will require updating the
keys that other plugins rely on to extract their own values.

Zac