[Zope-PAS] what plugins are needed for authentication

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Apr 4 05:45:55 EDT 2007

> Hi there,
>
> I want to write a PAS Plugin that does only the authentication.
>
> it should do the authentication and then store it in a
> session for a coupple of hours.
>
> Now I am unsure which services I have to implement.
> IAuthenticationPlugin ??
> IExtractionPlugin  ??

Without more information, it's unclear what you will need.  Assuming you
want to reuse either HTTP basic or cookie authentication for the mechanics
of getting a username/password pair, you can enable the standard PAS plugins
for IChallengePlugin and IExtractionPlugin.  You should then only need to
implement IAuthenticationPlugin - and the main job there is for you to
validate the credentials, then return a dict with the username you
extracted.  You will also need to have a user manager - the "ZODB User
Manager" might be OK.  I'd recommend the approach of setting PAS up with
everything working as you want except for the actual authentication you want
to perform.  You should then replace the interfaces from that set until
everything you need is done :)

This is mainly from memory, but I hope it helps...

Mark