[Zope-PAS] Re: [Plone-Users] Plone 3.0-beta1 is out

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Mar 27 08:07:39 EDT 2007

Previously Carl Brewer wrote:
> It's now doing something quite weird, when I add users, and then 'show
> users', I see two entries for each user I added. They're identical.

They're the same users. The is caused by a design flaw in PAS: doing a
getUserById() does a search for the user id internally. This means that
unless a user can be found in a search he does not exist as far as PAS
is concerned.

Plone uses has its own plugin to manage user properties and user
searching. This can only search for users who have properties inside
the Plone site, so we also need to enable searching on the source_users
plugin to be able to create user instances for all other users (such as
the Zope admin user from the root user folder). The result is that
users can be found twice: once in source_users and once by the Plone
property manager.

This PAS behaviour is problematic: there are a lot of valid
configurations where you can have a user who can not be found by a
search. The OpenID implementation has to jump through various hoops
to fake search results in order to be usable for example.

Wichert.