[Zope-PAS] user login and roles

Dvir Bar-lev dvir.b at puresight.com
Sun Mar 8 05:35:14 EDT 2009

This is what I would like to happen:

A user goes to the site, he see the log in screen that has 2 entry fields - user name and password.
The user enteres the data and presses the submit button.
Now I want to take what the user entered and see if I have the same user and password defined in acl_users folder, if so I want to give him the role that that user in the acl_users folder have.
And than based on that role direct him to the appropriate page

What I don't want is that the zope will pop up his login window, in essence I want to do my own authentication, validation and role assigning.

I hope this clears up what I want, I was told that I need the PAS plugin but I have no idea how to use it, if there is a way to do it without PAS I would very much like to hear it.