[ZWeb] Yet Another Packing Saga.

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:28:05 -0400

ethan mindlace fremen wrote:

> Got home this evening, had some ideas for the Products page, tried to
> recatalog the SiteIndex.  Got error[11] (or was it [13]): no space on
> device.

Note that recataloging can use alot of temporart file space.
It is likely that this is what you ran out of.

> So I popped a widget, then wandered over to zope.org to check it out.
> Mysteriously, it didn't seem like it was at 100%, but more like 89%...

Because you ran out of temporary space. Are we still providing an environment
variable to control where temporary files get created?

> Then I observe the 1,733.9 MB Data.fs and start to worry (needlessly, as
> anyone more gifted at math than I will tell you) about the 2 GB issue.
>
> I move some stuff around including 1 gigabyte worth of apache log
> files.  Hopefully that didn't mess anything up irretrievably.

Damn, we should have gotten a bigger disk a *long* time ago.

> There's roughly 2 gigabytes of availiable space on the partition. I try
> to pack, and get "no space on device".  Joy.

Hm. That's odd.

>  It's approximately 1 AM.
> It seems bleak, but I notice a post from Chris McDonough, the resident
> insomniac, on zope@zope.org not 30 minutes ago.
>
> I interrupt his ceiling meditations, and he helps me calm down a bit.
> We look around for solutions.
>
> Many fun things were tried, but the eventual solution was liberal use of
> rm -rf.  If anyone had anything important in the area, please check to
> see if it's still alive.
>
> Anyway, my campaign of devastation managed to free up 3.05 GB, which
> allowed the packing to ensue!  However, having found out the magic word
> "SUPPRESS_ACCESSRULE" from email, yet not reading thouroughly for the
> further incantation "SUPPRESS_SITEROOT", I called it straight from the
> url (as any generated URLS were wrong- I was outside of Apache at this
> point, in order to ensure that the ZODB didn't grow any further).

I have no idea what this is about.

> So I packed to 0 days.  Everything was peachy!  I wanted to do the job
> right, though, so I replaced Data.fs with Data.fs.old, and started
> packing at 10 days.
>
> Restart, and ieee!  index_html errors with:
>
> "Oversize int too long to convert"
>
> Traceback suggested it was mad at the ZWN.  Other pages worked, so I
> went into management, and the ZWN- though it showed in the interface-
> was effectively not there.

There isn't enough here for me to add anything useful.

> I copied Data.fs to my directory as Data.fs.fubar, re-ran the pack on
> the Data.fs.old to 0 days (which knocks it down to 473 MB) and that, my
> friends, is the state of Zope.org this fine morning.

Does that mean that Zope.Org is unpacked? Or that it was packed to 0
days.  If the former, I suggest we make a copy of the site and look
at the result of packing to 10 days to see what went on.

Jim

repeats.