[ZWeb] karl on greenspun on nielsen

emf mindlace@digicool.com
Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:27:37 -0500

Karl Anderson wrote:

> Greenspun reviews _Designing Web Usability_.  I haven't read _DWU_ or
> even bothered with all of Greenspun's review, but it's worth noting
> that one of his first comments is something that zope.org fails at
> horribly, & is one of my pet peeves - most pages are unreadable unless
> you widen your browser to include most of the screen, and there's a
> big empty margin, too.

Thanks for the link!

We're going to be in a new home soon (more in the upcoming ZWN).  This
will/should finally mean that I can stop paying attention to hardware
and sysadmin & start devoting full attention to the user experience.

One of the things that I want to do is provide control-bar behavior for
zope.  Things like wiki navigation context, Tracker control, the
ordinary navbar, and other control-bar esque features of zope.org will
be controllable, so that you may opt to hide them for full-screen
behavior.

One other thing I can do is use "float" instead of the
everything-in-a-big-table for the control bars, so that the text will
wrap around control components (in the case where it's not pre'd).

I don't know what to do about the pre factor.  You could try to parse
pre'd text and do some kind of intelligent wrapping, but i imagine that
would be quite difficult.

~ethan