[ZWeb] DISCUSS: Monitoring Zope.org

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Mon, 04 Sep 2000 09:07:35 -0500

How about instead of the message from Apache and the alternate site
known only by list members, a redirect from Apache to the said site.

On that site it can contain a link to a "Zope Weather" page for
information on Zope.org's status for those who are interested.

This way when zope.org experiences problems, it can somewhat be
transparent to the end user other than a period of slowness/inactivity
at initial contact.

This would provide the ability for those of us who want/need to download
the current Zope or a product, tip, howto, etc. when needed.

Just some thoughts.

Jimmie Houchin

Simon Coles wrote:
[snip]
> Paul Everitt wrote:
> >With that in mind, I have a specific proposal to help.  I think we
> >should:
> >
> >1) Zope.org sits behind Apache using mod_proxy for integration.  We
> >should find out what is the timeout for proxy connections.  If it is
> >configurable, we should dial it _way_ down (e.g. 20 seconds).  If Zope
> >doesn't respond, get it to say so in a reasonable period of time.
> >
> >2) Next, we should hack the Apache error page to be meaningful.  For
> >instance:
>
> Yeah, we do that here, works well. At some point we may get it to
> send a mail out whenever it has to send that page out on the
> principle that seeing the extent of the problem helps our admin
> people prioritise :-).
>
> More generally, we monitor site health. There are a number of tools
> around, but  I ended up writing my own when we were having
> performance problems (with Domino :-) and I wanted to get some
> metrics. Nothing fancy, I just wanted to solve the immediate problem.
[snip details]