[ZWeb] Re: [Zope] Distinguishing between ZC and the community

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
07 Aug 2001 20:00:32 -0700

On 07 Aug 2001 18:42:56 +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Michael R. Bernstein writes:
>  >
>  > ....
>  > Therefore, Zope corporation must guard it's own brand (as well as the
>  > communities) by maintaining the distinction between the community and
>  > the company.
>
> But, if you can trust the corporation and the community in a similar
> way, would you really need a difference in the visual "annotation"?

Hmm.

While I can say that I trust the corporation and the community roughly
to the same degree, I don't think that I trust them the same way, or for
the same things.

If there was truly no need to distinguish between the community and the
corporation, then it wouldn't have been neccessary for various DC
employees to say "I am not speaking for the company" at during various
mailing-list discussions over the last two years.

The line was clearer before (when ZC was DC), but there were still
problems. As an example, DC and it's employees released various products
that were clearly labled as 'unsupported', but people still expected the
same level of free support on the mailing lists for those products (I've
done this myself, a little).

This is unreasonable, yet understandable. That sort of expectation is
going to be even stronger in the future, now that the two entities names
are so similar.

Whatever can be done to create distinct identities for ZC and the
community (that are nonetheless related) should be done.

All of this is my own opinion only, and does not neccessarily reflect
the opinion of my employer. :-)

Michael Bernstein.