[ZWeb] getting it done

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Sun, 02 Dec 2001 13:01:10 -0500

alan runyan wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I just need a itemized list of things to do.  I can dedicate 10 hours/week.
> But I want the other people to understand that we should all very
> comfortable enough with hassling each other.  Prodding people is sometimes
> the only way to make things go-go-go.

As you and I spoke about on Friday, this is an important point to the
dynamic.  We need some people to contribute, but we also need some
people to help make things happen.  I'm glad that you'll step up as a
Certified Zope Prodder. :^)

> I would imagine if you put a 'zope.org interface contest' up.  we could get
> DESIGNERS starting to send mockups in -- very important first step, IMHO.
> Designers need to be a part of this.  Plone is not me, it really is Alex
> Limi aka dracvl, I'm merely the person who makes things happen.  I am really
> good about taking all the credit ;)

IMO, the first thing we need to do is figure out how we're going to
organize ourselves.  Where will be collect, prioritize, and assign
things to be done?  How will we communicate with each other?  Seb
mentioned some of these items, I believe.

The second thing, I think, is to pick an achievable, concrete first goal
and get it done.  That is, get a quick success that works out the
dynamics of the group.  Some have suggested improving the fishbowl.

After that, I think mockups are the way to go, as you indicated.  The
intranet skins I've done with Tres can be worked on and evaluated from
outside Zope and the CMF.  We should, IMO, tackle the zope.org problem
from a screen/template usability perspective through mockups.

> I would be more than happy to donate (i'm sure alex is also for it) Plone.
> I would also like to spend my time working on Plone -- since it directly
> benefits me.  Alex is the design guru -- I'm the key punching monkey.  I am
> trying to get beta-testers now.  I only have 1 signed up.  more will come.

I like Plone.  I think we need a variation on Plone that, from the
perspective of colors etc., is more similar to the existing tone of
zope.org.  But I also want to allow people to choose Plone (or other skins).

> * Plone being installed, is no problem.  I will help maintain it.

This is a Big Contribution.  Andy (akm) has indicated willingness to
participate.  I think he could contribute particularly on the "Software
Product" product on new.zope.org, as a way to hook it into ProductManager.

Here's one of the really big roles that I'm looking for: some people to
chip in on the sysadmin.  That is, a small group of people with logins.
  It needs to be someone willing to respond pretty quickly to issues.

> * I personally would like to see a Message Board system (i proposed AKM's
> Squib product) being used, as well as comments attached to content in CMF.
> Message Board Sysetms are nice and centralized -- a traditional paradigm
> (gasp! 8)  Squib uses RDBMS.

This is a good idea, and ultimately the logical way that the community
might want to approach zope.org.  But for right now, I propose we
concentrate on some things that aren't architectural overhauls.  Let's
save that until we get to know each other and the peculiarities of the
software a bit.

> * I also think Package Management is another great idea.  Again AKM has a
> PackageManager product that is under development.  he is looking for
> beta-testers.

Yep, definately agreed.

> * maybe whatever we setup we can co-ordinate beta-testers.  it seems that
> important projects suffer from exposure and proper beta-testing feedback to
> authors.  On a whole I think ZOPE community has naming problems (Zopelabs
> should be The Zope Cookbook, Squib should be Zope Forums, ZBabel should be
> anything but the word Babel, a terrible marketing word).
>
> Give me a shell and a ZOPE I will install Plone.  Where to next hoss?

Hooray, you just volunteered for the hardest job! :^)

I assert that we need to start tracking these things to do and who needs
to do them.  I propose we use collector.zope.org/Zope with a new keyword
of "zope.org" (and some new Assigned To people).  (It's possible that
we'll need to improve the CMFCollector along the way, but I hope not.)
If someone proposes something else, they need to also volunteer to setup
and administer such a beastie.

Second, we need to setup our communications facilities.  We need to know
who is participating, there email address, and what they're working on.
  In fact, we need to decide who's the Grand Poobah.  Volunteers?  I
propose that we use this mailing list for email discussion, that we
setup IRC appointments to haggle, and "some" collector to track issues.

Next, we need to decide where the code is going to live and be shared.
I propose that this should be cvs.zope.org, though this would mean the
volunteers execute contributor agreements.  Alternatives are suggested
(e.g. SF).

Next, I assert that the "will of the people" has spoken and is asking
for an improved fishbowl.  We should make that one of the first items on
the agenda.

Perhaps in conjunction with "Improved Fishbowl", we tackle skins.  We
need to get Plone into a shared area and start converting the existing
new.zope.org screens -- unless there is a desire to scrap new.zope.org
and start over. (Please, no....:^)

--Paul