[ZWeb] Newbie thoughts on zope.org re-org

Trevor Toenjes zope@toenjes.com
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 18:23:07 -0500

> And now I go build upon your product and create an enhanced
> replacement. Or
> I just use your product as a base for a new one.
>
> Should I then go to your product, and add an indicator saying that it is
> replaced by a better one?
> Or for the second example that there is a product that elaborates on this
> and this feature?
>
> actually I think this would be a good thing
great point.  It is challenging to follow the thread of old products to
updated or replacements.
One of my earlier points was to provide category information on the Product
page to group similar products.  This exists now when you submit products to
zope.org, but not enough is done with this info.

In order to facilitate more collaborative support and development of the
"good" products, each zProduct container could have a place for "Support
Team" to volunteer time, for people to document patches, links to related
projects/products.
We dont have to squeeze everything on a single page.  A table displaying
types of additional suuport information for people to read would go a long
way to address scalability.

And I agree with another point that screen shots go a long way to make up
for poor documentation.  One space for the author, and one space for
"support".
hmmm...Recruit Zope newbies to do screen shots for Zopistas that dont want
do this for their products.  ;)    'I would do this for a great product that
is underdocumented'

some of this is sourceforge-like.  But that may be the reason Zope products
are moving away from zope.org.

Alan is doing some great stuff on Zopelabs. What could we do to complement
that effort?

-Trevor "10x"