[ZWeb] Newbie thoughts on zope.org re-org

Michael Twomey michael.twomey@sun.com
07 Dec 2001 16:55:12 +0000

On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 18:41, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> From: "Michael Twomey" <michael.twomey@sun.com>
>
> > 1. Are we agreed for the need for Out of the box solutions?
>
> Uhm. No. It would be nice, but it will take a huge amount of effort, and I
> frankly don't see the use of it, unless the solutions are EXTREMELY
> configurable, which makes the effort needed go from huge to gargantuan. :-)
>
> What is needed is a tutorial on how to build a web-site with core-zope only,
> so people can get results fast without needing to grok all of Zope. But such
> a tutorial would contain no design at all, the design would be completely up
> to the user, which isn't possible with the types of sites above, because of
> the large amount of features and programming a userinterface would need
> there. A site with a common page design and automatic menus is easy to do
> with core-Zope when you know how to do it.
>
> Nother tutorial that would bee needed as a "step 2" is a "How to set up a
> good development environment for Zope", which would be the next step after
> making your first site.

Ok, fair enough. I agree that a full out of the box stand alone solution
would be a huge amount of work. Maybe a fixed example solution would be
do-able. For the most part it should be plugging together whats out
there. So a simple tutorial as you say should be enough. By having a
good, but inflexible, example site it encourages people to "scratch
their itch" and dive into Zope. Hey if the trivial site is good enough
for some people all the better :)

So keeping it as a "download zope, install, get this products, wire
together like so" example would be do-able? I can certainly have a stab
at this since I've done a fair bit of this trying out products. I'll see
if I can knock together a first try at some kind of site over the
weekend (I'll give a go at a really simple example first, say setting up
a zwiki from scratch with Zope or a very simple e-commerce site).

cheers,
	mick

--
Michael Twomey
These opinions are my own and do not represent Sun unless otherwise