[ZWeb] Re: zope.org wiki tinkering

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:38:14 -0500

First, congratulations and kudos to Ken!  It's been less than a week
since we got the message about improving our listening.  One of the
primary complaints now, thanks to Ken, has a first cut at an
improvement.  Thanks Ken!

Remember though: we're all part of a _group_ now that is shouldering the
responsibility for improving the zope.org experience.  Ken has stepped
up with something.  Hopefully this will incent some others to step up as
well.

Places to contribute:

   o Help manage the various collectors and trackers

   o Pitch in with Seb on site (re)organization

Comments below...

Ken Manheimer wrote:

> As usual, i got a bit sidetracked, so getting the wiki notification things
> in place took a bit longer than intended.  I *have* set up some
> infrastructure, however - WikiForNow ZWiki is now available for anonymous
> checkout from the zopeorg CVS repository, in case anyone is interested in
> trying it out.  I've installed the subscription mechanism on zope.org, but
> only exposed the link to the subscribe page in the
> FishbowlNotificationsForNow project wiki:
>
>   http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/FishbowlNotificationsForNow
>
> Page subscriptions are about as slow as edits (sometimes very slow,
> depending on cash thrash/ghosting/i dunno what), i believe because the
> subscriptions are indexed in the site catalog.  The benefit is that you
> can search the catalog for all your subscriptions.

While it's slow, it's something we'll have to live with.  IMO, giving
people an ability to find (and disable) their mailouts is too important.
  So you've done it the right way.  We'll just have to look into the
performance problem (which Martijn was doing yesterday with ChrisM).

--Paul