[ZWeb] Documentation Index

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 15:16:50 -0500

Andrew Sawyers wrote:
> I may not be the person in the know on this, but since I have been working
> on these pages alot, I am going to comment.  Since we have been attempting
> to narrow the focus of the documentation index, so specific documentation is
> easier to find.  The organization has been the key.  If we think of it as a
> library, books are shelved based on their focus; and the reference section
> would contain items which cover a large range of topics, such as an
> encyclopedia.  I would propose we place items which have a broader
> relationship to the documentation categories either in reference or we look
> at redoing the left nav bar, utilizing it to possibly be a place for
> important documents which transcend the categorical nature of the
> documentation index's layout.  At present, that left navbar isn't very
> useful since the documents listed there are easily found on the new
> documentation index.  Our goal should be towards making the documentation
> easy to find.  I see the table top as being the categorical structure.....
> comments?

To me Itamar's document seems more like the library catalog than one of
the books.  If it had been available when I started learning Zope, I
would have used it instead of whatever documentation index there might
be on zope.org.

The only future concern is maintenance.  If we give it a prominent place
in the documentation, we need to figure out how it will be updated.

However, I'm just making suggestions.  Feel free to implement it how you
like.

Shane