[ZWeb] What's this mailing list for?

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:13:27 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Andy McKay wrote:

> If there was more community effort involved in zope.org then I would agree.
> At the moment, we get our user area and we get to make comments on the site
> (with which we often get good feedback). It's good that you guys are open
> about it, it just seems a little strange to me. Traffic is low, so its not
> really a problem, just a comment.

My take is that digital creations is doing what it can to make the
machinations that affect the zope community *visible* to that community -
and, to the extent that we're able, involve the community in the process.

Hence

 - the fishbowl ( http://dev.zope.org )

 - Zope weekly news,

 - etc

 - and in particular, exposure about what's going on with the web site,
   as it happens

... including use of the zope-web list to do the business, rather than
keeping the community in the dark while we scramble behind the scenes.

Involving the community is and probably has to be a gradual process - we
want to open the kitchen for more cooks, interesting buffets,
experimentation in general - but putting under-organized stuff out there,
without some advanced thought to process, isn't in anyone's interest, as
chaos would ensue.  We're trying to counteract the compensating temptation
to do the *simplest* thing, and just put out fully baked things when
they're done.  This is a central part of dc's business model, and i think
we're gradually getting the hang of it, so that opportunities for
involvement in both directions will increase as time goes by...

Ken
klm@digicool.com