[ZWeb] Zope.org okay?

ethan mindlace fremen mindlace@digicool.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 14:41:34 -0400

--On Wednesday, May 23, 2001 07:38:40 -0700 Charlie Blanchard
<charlie@blanchardsite.com> wrote:

> I kinda like the polish on zope.org as it is now. There are
> minimal images getting in the way of the information content and
> the colors convey a good emotional tone. 'Polish' for 'polishes'
> sake alone is wasted resources, imo.

Hey, are you making fun of my ancestry?!

> And 'improvements' for the
> sake of 'polish' often degrade usability of sites for many users
> unnecessarily. Better the time be invested making the site more
> 'informational' as that is what creates and maintains the 'image'
> that truly matters in the long run.

Where the zope.org site needs serious polish is that it's hard to find
things. At the same time that we make it easier to find things, we're going
to make it look better.

> I fully expect dissention on this view.

No, I concurr completely.

> To better understand my
> personal point of reference it may help to know that I have
> switched my primary browser from gui to text to avoid 'polish'
> and improve access to information that for most open source
> projects is almost entirely textual in content... <g>
>
> And, oh yeah try running the zmi via lynx sometime! It works
> fine...

The new zope.org site will look great in lynx/w3/w3m and other text
browsers.
It will also look stunning in a graphical browser, even a brain-damaged
piece of 4 year old technology like netscape 4.x.

form-follows-function-ly y'rs,
--
ethan mindlace fremen
zopatista community liason