[ZWeb] Zope.org feedback: Zope Mozilla Initiative

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:39:35 -0500

Larry Price wrote:
> Yah, I figured that out about three seconds after hitting submit.
>
> I'm in the middle of appraising zope and postnuke as possible CMF's for
> for efn.org's website, they both seem to have a lot of the features we're
> looking for (RSS newsfeeeds, extensible, open-source) the one thing that
> seems to be brought up on a pretty regular basis is performance concerns
> having to do with how many pages per second etc.

They are both good solutions to that class of problem.

> Especially those related to stability, can anyone point me in the
> direction of pages that discuss this, especially as regards running zope
> with apache. As any zope installation will have to coexist with the
> existing server setup.

Putting Zope behind Apache is the most traditional way to deploy it.  In
fact, that's how zope.org is setup.  If you take a look at:

   http://www.zope.org/Documentation/admin

...you'll see some of the how-to's on accomplishing this.  The most used
method is with mod_proxy as a caching front-end to Zope's server.  Not
only does this give you integration with Zope, but Apache can be used as
an accelerator for Zope.

These days many people are looking at using Squid as an accelerating
front end for Zope.  With this you can create sites where Squid serves
up over 90% of the requests at a very high rate, but truly dynamic pages
still go to Zope.  In fact, Zope provides integration with Squid, where
Zope can send a message to Squid when a page has changed.

Good luck!

--Paul