[ZWeb] A forest of Zope communities

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Fri, 01 Mar 2002 07:09:58 -0500

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> http://www.my-zope.org/
> http://www.zopelabs.com/
> http://www.zopenewbies.net/
> http://www.zopezen.org/
> http://www.zopeandhisuncle.foo/
> :-)

zopeandhisuncle has a nice ring to it...

> OK, I agree that zope.org is lacking, for example rating on products, as
> implemented on my-zope.org. But why implement each thing that is lacking on
> zope.org on a separate site? :-)

I agree with Alan's response on this.  People want to scratch their own
itch, get some net.fame, and all the other reasons that everyone would
rather right their own template system instead of use a template system
that already exists (or language, or app server, or editor, or other
tool).  People like to do their own thing.

However, people also like to work in groups and on teams.  zope.org will
hopefully become the latter.

> OK, I know, Zope users tend to be individualists. :-) But still, a bit of
> cooperation could go a long way here. If it still is too hard to get
> community development on zope.org (I feel that nothing much happened after
> the fruitful discussions we had at the end of last year), then if that
> development could be done on one website, it would be a very useful website,
> instead of a whole bunch of websites with limited usefullness on their own.

I'd certainly like to see some work start happening on zope.org.  Seb
chimed in about his survey, which he has shared with me.  I think his
results will kickstart activities.  I've also been tinkering and would
like to start the ball rolling.

> Or?
>
> I would love to be a part of writing a good zope discussion forum, I'm
> almost done with a rating mix in class, and so far. But I have nowhere to
> use it, and I am definitely *not* going to start
> http://www.yetanotherzopesite.org/ :-).

You can do all of this for new.zope.org, if you're interested.
Particularly the rating syste.  I believe Kapil has released a rating
system as well.  new.zope.org has product rating, but I'm pretty sure
that it's just a start.

More in my next note...

--Paul