IA for zope.org (was Re: [ZWeb] A forest of Zope communities)

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
01 Mar 2002 14:48:10 +0000

Hi everyone,

I've added Paul's links to the resources page on the Reorg Wiki.  I've
also uploaded my report.  I'd hoped to refine it but I figured it's
better to get it out there in a raw state then wait two more weeks until
I can manage to put more time into it.

  http://www.zope.org/Resources/ZOST/ZopeOrgReorg/AssetsAndResources

I'm also of the opinion that an information architecture (and a
functional specification) need to be considered next.  First, it might
be a good idea to distill the survey findings into a small number of
statements and goals.  I'd like to do this following any discussion that
my survey throws up.

The way I'd like to push the project on after this is to take a
kicking-other-people-up-the-backside role.  Lots of you have said you
are willing to commit time to this project, now I'm going to start
holding you all to it :-)

I'm going to maintain the Wiki mentioned above and act as a
community-side dictator.  No-one's raised any objections to this before,
so I'm assuming everyone's OK with that.

So now I'm asking people to stick their necks out and volunteer to steer
the next parts, information architecture and functional spec.  I'd like
to see some written artifacts explaining the goals and rationale for any
decisions, so that the community can discuss them with clarity.

Paul has taken a lead on IA, would anyone else from the community like
to collaborate with him?  I know MaxM expressed an interest in helping
out on this part of the project (sorry max ;-).  Any takers?

We also need a volunteer for the functional spec.  This would cover
ratings systems, better catalogs, etc.  It should consider what's
realistically achievable within a timescale of a few months.  My feeling
is that although we'd all like a lot of new functions, we should
concentrate on one or two things, and put the rest of our energy into
getting the content into order.

The one thing I'd like to dicatate at this stage is to hold off on
graphic design issues for a while.  Otherwise things may get a bit
noisy.

Is that OK?

seb