[ZWeb] [john_e_barham@hotmail.com: What is Zope?]

Martijn Pieters mj@zope.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:16:45 -0500

--NPWyolIJAVLYbHY6

Some feedback on the old zope.org site.

--
Martijn Pieters
| Software Engineer  mailto:mj@zope.com

--NPWyolIJAVLYbHY6

From: "John E. Barham" <john_e_barham@hotmail.com>
To: <webmaster@zope.org>
Subject: What is Zope?
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 01:38:46 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_00A6_01C1C89D.7C4D35A0

Hi there,

As a big fan and longtime user of Zope (and Python), I'm starting up a =
Web consulting business (www.LaneStLabs.com).  I'm using Zope as my =
primary Web app server for my customers and want to put a link on my =
site for potential customers to an official zope.com/org page that =
explains What Zope Is.

I found the "Learn Zope" link on the zope.org homepage is misleading =
since it actually points to a page titled "What Is Zope?" which is =
helpful in explaining what Zope is (although it's aimed at techies).  =
Why don't you just call the heading "What is Zope?" on the homepage?

Also, while the emphasis of Zope.org is on information for Zope users, =
who would tend to be fairly technical, I think there needs to be an =
explanation of what Zope is for more non-technical people who aren't =
direct users of Zope but need reassurances from people like me that =
there are sound business reasons for using it.  For example, I've found =
that non-techies think it's really cool that a Zope website can be =
edited using only a Web browser but they'd never find that out =
themselves from the official explanation since their eyes have glazed =
over at the bit about its "transactional object database" which while =
also very cool doesn't mean a heck of a lot to just plain folks.

Please don't take any of this personally.  I love what you guys have =
done and are doing w/ Zope and want to spread the good word to the =
unwashed masses, but it has to be seriously filtered for the =
non-technical business person.

I'd be happy to write a preliminary explanation of what Zope is for =
business types if you need it.

Yours truly,

    John Barham

------=_NextPart_000_00A6_01C1C89D.7C4D35A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi there,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As a big fan and longtime user of Zope =
(and=20
Python), I'm starting up a Web consulting business (<A=20
href=3D"http://www.LaneStLabs.com">www.LaneStLabs.com</A>).&nbsp; I'm =
using Zope=20
as my primary Web app server for my customers and want to put a link on =
my site=20
for potential customers to an official zope.com/org page that explains =
What Zope=20
Is.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I found the "Learn Zope" link on the =
zope.org=20
homepage is misleading since it actually points to a page titled "What =
Is Zope?"=20
which is helpful in explaining what Zope is (although it's aimed at=20
techies).&nbsp; Why don't you just call the heading "What is Zope?" on =
the=20
homepage?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also, while the emphasis of Zope.org is =
on=20
information for&nbsp;Zope users, who would tend to be fairly technical, =
I think=20
there needs to be an explanation of what Zope is for more non-technical =
people=20
who aren't direct users of Zope but need reassurances from people like =
me that=20
there are sound business reasons for using it.&nbsp; For example, I've =
found=20
that non-techies think it's really cool that a Zope website can be =
edited using=20
only&nbsp;a Web browser but they'd never find that out themselves from =
the=20
official explanation since their eyes have glazed over at the bit about =
its=20
"transactional object database" which while also very cool doesn't mean =
a heck=20
of a lot to just plain folks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Please don't take any of this =
personally.&nbsp; I=20
love what you guys have done and are doing w/ Zope and want to spread =
the good=20
word to the unwashed masses, but it has to be seriously filtered for the =

non-technical business person.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'd be happy to write&nbsp;a =
preliminary=20
explanation of what Zope is for business types if you need =
it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yours truly,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; John=20
Barham</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A6_01C1C89D.7C4D35A0--

--NPWyolIJAVLYbHY6--