[ZWeb] DISCUSS: Moving downloads to SourceForge's download manager

Sidnei da Silva sidnei@x3ng.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:05:25 -0200

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 03:34:33PM +0100, Paul Everitt wrote:

| I believe this subject came up a couple of weeks ago but I can't find
| it in the archives.
|
| Sidnei and I were just discussing the web stats for zope.org.  He
| noticed that around 50% of the bytes transfered were from two things:
| Zope distributions and the PDF of the Zope book (the latter is around
| 9%).
|
| He and I thought it would be good to revisit the proposal of moving
| these items into SourceForge's download manager.  Here are some pros
| and cons:
|
| Pros

<snip>

Its also a good idea to point that the bandwidth use has been
increasing since June, and on this month, the total hits for zope.org
surpassed 7 million, which is sligthly more than the previous record
(6.87 million in May/2002).

The number of kbytes transfered is still lower the previous record:
164 million this October against 179 million on January/2002.

| Sidnei and I both view this as more pro than con, and are willing to do
| the work to investigate the feasibility of this.

Just as a reminder, altough this sounds like a very manual work, there
shouldnt be hard to create an automated procedure to post Zope
releases on SF (more or less the same way CMF downloads are uploaded
to the DogBowl).

[]'s
--
Sidnei da Silva (dreamcatcher) <sidnei@x3ng.com.br>
X3ng Web Technology <http://www.x3ng.com.br>

MS-DOS, you can't live with it, you can live without it.
	-- from Lars Wirzenius' .sig