[ZWeb] REVISIT: Switch zope.org search to google

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:42:31 +0200

On mercredi, oct 16, 2002, at 14:54 Europe/Paris, Olivier DECKMYN wrote:

>> I'd like to get people's opinions (+1, 0, -1) on the following
>> proposal:
>
>>    "zope.org should make Google the default full-text search and
>> return
>> to Zope relevance
>>    searching as soon as it is available."
>
> -1
>
> How can I sell Zope to my customers if _even_ zope.org isn't able to
> use the ZCatalog itself ????!!??

(Also mentioned by George in a followup.)  I sympathize with this
position, and it is the reason we stuck with the ZCatalog for so long,
even though we knew zope.org's search results were poor.  Now with Zope
2.6, which you can start selling soon, you can have more confidence
selling Zope-native searching.

However, zope.org runs something related to 2.3.  The survey has shown
that the user's biggest gripe is search results.  Switching to google
is a ten-minute step that we decided six months ago to not take,
because relevance and nzo were just around the corner.

Also, I worry that the sorry state of zope.org search results does more
damage to ZCatalog's credibility than switching to Google could.  But
that's a judgement call.

>> Remember, this isn't construed as a decision, which I think rests with
>> Martijn to make.  Rather, I'm looking for what people on this list
>> think, as input to Martijn.
>
> Why don't we focus on finalising NZO project ?

We did.  But there's a huge difference between a ten-minute step and a
four or five man-month step.

--Paul