[ZWeb] REVISIT: Switch zope.org search to google

Andreas Jung andreas@andreas-jung.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:24:04 +0200

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 10:26:49AM -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Olivier DECKMYN wrote:
> >How does ZCTextIndex compares to TextIndexNG ?
> >
> >( http://www.zope.org/Members/ajung/TextIndexNG )
>
> IMHO ZCTextIndex is a text index that Just Works.  You don't have to
> learn much about it or fiddle with options.  TextIndexNG has a lot of
> features but doesn't match the simplicity and accuracy.
                                                ^^^^^^^^
                                              What do you mean here?

TextIndexNG is a text index that also just works. It is currently
in used by some larger websites and I use it for a large internal
document database. So what are the differences?

ZCTextIndex is very simple to be used and supports relevance
ranking but offers no support yet for advanced indexing options
(it has an open API to stick in others components).

TextIndexNG tries to make features available for fulltext indexing that are
standard in other systems like stemming, document converters for pdf, word
etc., similarity search, normalization and most important it is focused on
international usage by being fully unicode aware and providing stemmer support
for 13 languages. The next release will focus to handle documents in different
languages.

> I'd like to see a lot of the features of TextIndexNG, like document
> conversion, stemming, and accent normalization, converted into pipeline
> elements for ZCTextIndex.  That would give you the best of both worlds.

Stemming is the hardest part but all extensions are freely
available meanwhile as dedicated TextIndexNG-Extensions package
and published under the ZPL.

Andreas