[ZWeb] Zope.org feedback: Zope mirroring ?

jason andrade jason@rtfmconsult.com
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:33:08 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> No, this is about it.  I do Python in my spare time and Zope for
> money. :-)

i'm glad there's a "pays the bills" component there.  i do something
similar with planetmirror :-)

> http://www.zope.org/projects/nzo/ScaledDownNZO

check.

> I suggest that it's up to the community to come up with a way of
> making zope.org mirrorable.  You might want to read this thread to get
> an idea of what's been said about this before:
>
> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-web/2003-January/002183.html

you're a bad man.. i sighed a bit in despair at the size of the thread
but i've managed to get through it.  from what i understand

o you have hired a part time person to do ongoing maintenance of
  the zope site

o you have hired/contracted someone to do the work of migrating
  the current zope.org website to a new one

o zope downloads are currently embedded in the site

o they used to be handled separately at sf (?) but were pulled
  back into the zope.org site

from the threads i'm seeing that zope.org appears to have a dynamic
component that simply doesn't lend itself to mirroring at all because
then you would have to deal with multi site data reconciliation
issues - unless it is implemented as a "content only updates via
a single point and is then (read only) replicated out to mirrors".

from the downloads though it should be relatively simple to have
a download tree that can be replicated via rsync and the download
page(s) could be coded to either do a "select a mirror" and then
all the links (on the following page) refer to that mirror, or
a "download this release file" with a list of sites it can be
downloaded from.

or have i got it all wrong ? :-)

regards,

-jason