[ZWeb] NZO / Plone / etc

Alexander Limi limi@plone.org
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 19:23:14 +0100

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:44:27 -0500, george donnelly <list@zettai.net>
wrote:

> 4. Javascript:
>
> I think the javascript stuff should be dumped. It slows things down and
> its
> hard to make this work reliably across all platforms. Also, I suspect the
> main user of zope.org is the developer and and developers do not seem to
> be
> javascript fans.

Can I dispel this myth once and for all?

1) Parsing a javascript file does not "slow things down" any more than
parsing a CSS file. If you do stupid stuff, like looping - sure. But then
it's the developer's fault, not Javascript.

2) The way we use javascript in Plone does not hide any options or stop you
from doing anything when you don't have javascript turned on. This is an
explicit stated goal of Plone.

3) The javascripts in Plone are convenience methods. It focuses on the
first tabindex item on a page, fixes browser bugs transparently etc. They
are all exceedingly simple.

4) "Hard to make it work reliably across all platforms" - no. If you stick
to the DOM2 spec, things will work perfectly in IE, Mozilla and Opera. The
other browsers (like Netscape 4) simply ignores it. There is not one
browser out there that has problems with this.

5) If you are not a javascript fan, you turn it off. All browsers that I've
seen have an option to do this.

What I'll give you, and what I agree with, is the tooltips approach of
Plone forms. It grew out of a different need, and got wrongly applied to
this. Usability-wise, it's the worst thing I did to Plone. I'm changing
this in Plone 1.1.

--
Alexander Limi
http://limi.net