[ZWeb] dev.nzo.zope.org is great!

Sidnei da Silva sidnei@x3ng.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:58:05 -0300

PieterB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I really like the new zope.org at http://dev.nzo.zope.org/

Yay! thanks.

> Some small remarks to make it even better:
>
> - I should remove the first box heading 'navigation', because it is
> common practice to put the navigation area in the left-top-corner

Done.

> - Drop the second navigation box

Done.

> - Sort the top level naviation aphabetically, so
>   About Zope, Business, Community, Docs, Download, Projects.
>   instead of About Zope, Docs, Download, Projects, Community, Business.

I dont see anything the motivation for this, but the order seems nice,
so I will do it.

> - Decrease the whitespace above "Spotlight on..." and "Announcements"

Done.

> - "Spotlight on using Zope With Amaya instead" of
>   "Spotlight on...<br> Using Zope With Amaya"

Done.

> - Use small font for Spotlight subtitle,
>   "By Michel Pelletier 21 August, 2001"

Done.

> - Use a more recent spotlight ;)

Not done yet. Need to make this dynamic.

> - Start with "What is Zope?" instead of the spotlight

Done.

> - Change title to "Zope.org: Welcome to Zope.org" instead of "index_html"

Done.

> - Be consistent with using capitals for new words. I would suggest not
>   to use them (so "Top resources" instead of "Top Resources").

Done.

> Some suggestions that would require some more work:
>
> - I think a "view source" or "view page template" function for
> members would increase the use of good templates. Example:
> http://www.zopelabs.com/cbsource/dtml/%7EindexhtmlCookbook.dtml

I dont think this will be useful. Now that we have page templates, all
the logic will be in python scripts, and as the python scripts will not
be visible from the public side ( they are inside portal_skins ) we will
not be able to show a link to the user see them.

> - Don't use fixed px or pt in stylesheets! See
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-CSS-TECHS/#units
>   If nobody is working on this part, I can provide patches to make
>   the CSS WAI-compatible.

Any help is appreciated!

> - Change title of "Top Resources". I think the term 'Resource' is
>   unclear.  Is it a page, a product, a howto or something else?

Thats the goal. A Resource can be a Product, Howto or Tip.

>   I would suggest something like "Top rated pages" (products have
>   pages which describe the product). Btw on my browser (IE6) it is
>   shown as "Top<br>Resources". I would like all headings to be so
>   short that they don't wrap (use smaller font, use &nbsp;, decrease
>   length of heading text)

That may require some effort yes. It will be a task for the zope.org
webmaster to keep it running smoothly.

> - Specify a doctype and make the page XHTML valid. See
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdev.nzo.zope.org%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=XHTML+1.0+Transitional

Done.