[ZWeb] FYI: Readying the "Zope Download Center"

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:17:27 +0100

On dimanche, jan 12, 2003, at 20:06 Europe/Paris, george donnelly wrote:

>> From: Paul Everitt <paul@eurozope.org>
>>
>> I did this back in July.  Here's the problems I discovered:
>>
>> 1) URLs make it hard to accurately say "what is zope".  There's
>> different versions of Zope, there's patch files, there are the
>> different binaries.
>
> not sure how to fix this or even visualize the problem but a slightly
> more
> expensive solution that would be infinitely customizable would be
> mod_log_sql: all apache log data gets dropped in to an sql db.

If you can specify how expressions get matched and logged, that would
be pretty sweet.  Downside: www.zope.org doesn't currently use a RDBMS,
nor will nzo (as far as I know).

We could get real-time data with a proven piece of software that we
don't have to maintain.  Cool!

Downside number two: I'm not sure if NZO is using Apache or Squid, or
both.  Hopefully not "neither". :^)

>> 2) The log files are currently being munched by webalizer and then
>> thrown out.  Thus, if the URL you want isn't in the list of top 20
>> hits, you're screwed.  All the information is lost, since the original
>> data are deleted.  (This was the problem that blocked me, as I never
>> had access to the boxes where the munching was done).
>
> this is totally customizable in webalizer.conf...

Yep.  The challenge, though, is that you don't really know how many
items to keep.  For instance, if you keep the top 100 URL instead of
the top 20, can you really be certain that Zope
2.1.2-z80-cpm-i-am-kidding.tgz wasn't download number 101?

Is there a way to address this?  My knowledge of webalizer stopped at
the free version from two years ago.

--Paul