[ZWeb] Re: Zope.net

george donnelly list@zettai.net
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:53:38 -0500

[Paul Everitt]

> It seems that you, Kapil, George, and I are talking about some of the
> same ideas.  I took a few minutes this morning to write up a proposal:
>
> http://www.zope-europe.org/articles/200301/czolinkbase

Retrieve the RSS listing from each site

This could get expensive. I'm thinking of the example of weblogs.com which
checked all the weblog sites every hour i think to see if there were
updated. What about a reverse approach, where community sites "ping" the
central site when they have something new they want added? This would spread
out the "cost". This could also solve the changes and deletes challenges as
the community sites could ping the central site when something has changed
or been deleted as well.

The ping could be a python script that gets executed from DCWorkflow and
sends the central site the title, date, author, description (200 characters
or less), subject keyword(s) originating site name and url, permanent url
and whether this action is a creation, modification or deletion. The script
does some magic to create/edit/delete an object on the central site with
this information and submit it for publishing/acceptance. someone on central
site reviews it and publishes/accepts it.

>*    Long URLs. How do we organize the linkbase resources on czo?

zope.net/Sites/ZopeZen/1

how about that?

>*    Categories.

I wonder if we can leverage the dmoz idea here? or perhaps incoming
submissions are self-classified and if an admin wants to change it she can?

>*     Needs to work with czo.
>*    No migration issues for nzo.

Gee, these are some pretty tough constraints. would be easier to start from
scratch.

<-->
george donnelly - http://zettai.net/ - "We Love Newbies" :)
Zope Hosting - Dynamic Website Design - Search Engine Promotion
Yahoo, AIM: zettainet - ICQ: 51907738 - e:george@zettai.net