[ZWeb] Zope.org and New zope.org status

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:42:03 -0500

> >Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >> Rob has offered NZO the use of a commercial ZC product for managing
> >> large sets of users.  This is still under construction, but it will be
> >> ready soon.  Until then we can use a vanilla user folder (CZO does
> >> that, so it's not unbearable to use that approach a little longer,
> >> right?).

> Anyy McKay wrote;
> >Oh great, thanks. There are several other options like exUserFolder
> >which can use LDAP etc.
>
> I can't tell if Andy is being sarcastic here or not <grin>.
> I'm appreciative of Zope Corp offering this, but...
>
> In the reverse of the stated ZC concern over using Plone, my reaction
> to this is, "but if we use a ZC commercial product, then we are
> stuck waiting for ZC to fix it if something goes wrong.  I'd rather
> we use an Open Source product the community can fix/enhance at
> need..."
>
> I understand the support concern expressed with regards to Plone,
> but maybe discusion of the user product should be included in the
> plone discussion.  After all, this ZC product is actually less well
> tested code than, say, exUserFolder is right now...

Good point.  One reason to use the ZC product is because ZC wants to
use zope.org as a test site for the product.  I expect that problems
with the product on zope.org will be taken as seriously as when they
occurred at a customer site -- after all if it croaks on zope.org,
it'll probably croak at the next customer site too, so it behooves us
to fix it!  That said, I don't know how far along the product
development is.  I also don't know how urgent it is -- doesn't the
current site hop along just fine with the default userfolder
implementation?