[ZWeb] light blue touch paper and stand back (was Re: Re: NZO, was Re: Zope 3 branding)

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:24:39 -0700

A problem that I think the entire Zope community has is that we're all
trying to do too much, with paying work, mailing lists, open source
development/contributions/debates.  Wiki maintenance seems to come last
in the priority order (at least - this seems to be the Zope.org pattern
- the Zope 3 and old Page Template wikis seem to be the exception).
This is why I want to encourage more explicit linking - I want people
to make less small pages and to focus more on single documents that are
easier to maintain.  (And I want CamelCase to die - 'McDonough'
shouldn't be a Wiki link, and I shouldn't have to go in there and
escape it every time I mention something about Chris just so that damn
question mark will go away).

Zope.org is opened up, kept up, and the workers are facilitated.
People can contribute how-tos, tips, documents, whatever they want.
Personally, I think that with backtalk enabled or the ability to
comment on any document, we'll have what is really needed for community
input.  I still get more help out of how-tos on Zope.org than I get out
of the Wikis.

I don't think I'm trying to do too much - I just might have too high of
expectations.  The Wiki utopia that you describe and the encounters
that I usually have seem to be really different.  I want to find out
why this is and address it.