[ZWeb] Re: [Zope-Annce] NZO Alpha2 Announcement

Sidnei da Silva sidnei@x3ng.com
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:39:42 -0300

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 06:16:44PM +0200, Paul Everitt wrote:
| This release looks really, really strong!  I've filed a few issues
| already, but here are some more general questions:

Thanks!

| 1) Relevance ranking.  This was the number one complaint in Seb's
| survey.  Some quick tests imply that the search results are better, but
| I'm curious if this is accidental or intentional.  Will nzo have better
| search results than czo?

It's a 'side-effect' of using ZCTextIndex, so yes.

| 2) Caching/Apache.  It appears that alpha2 is direct-to-Zope.  Will the
| beta, or the final, sit behind Apache/mod_proxy, Squid, or neither?

The initial plan was for squid+edge side cache. We may be launching it
with apache/mod_proxy and changing to squid later on. This is going to
be done by the ZC staff.

| 3) Gameplan for common user management.  Will the collector and other
| zope.org sites have a common username/password system?

Thats the idea on using CMFLDAP.

| 4) Will DAV be available?  Yeh, I'm a true sucker for punishment. :^)
| Or, FTP?  If so on FTP, is it the same kind of
| go-through-an-intermediary as czo?

Thats a good question indeed. Afaict, no, but that may change.

| 5) Zope.org used to publish some statistics from the Apache log file,
| but it appears to be gone now.  Are those statistics still being
| collected?

On Zope.org or on NZO? I can setup webalizer on NZO until the final,
but after that its on ZC hands.

| Note that, based on my most recent recollection, bayMountain tosses out
| log file data once a week.  This might have changed.

Dunno about that.

| Zope.org traffic, trending over time, is a very important piece of
| information, IMO.

Agreed. :P

| > Whats new on this milestone:
| >
| >  - DBTab
| >  - QueueCatalog
| >  - Zope-2.6-branch
| >  - ZODB 3.2b1
| >  - Python 2.2.3
|
| Is this using any optional build stuff, such as the new malloc?

Its a plain jane build, with some small patches (I copied the setup
from Tres' OSCOM demo).

| >  - ZopeProfiler
| >  - CMFLDAP
|
| Ahh, perhaps this answers (3) above?

Indeed.

| >  - Plone 1.0.3
| >  - ZWiki-latest
| >  - Many leaks fixed by Shane. Thanks Shane!!!!
|
| Yummy indeed!
|
| > The following issues are known at the moment:
| >
| >     * Registration is read-only for now.
| >     * The "lost password" functionality is disabled as well
| >     * Requester on collector issues was not yet migrated
|
| It was *really* cool to see collector issues show up in search results.

Yes. Thats quite nice. I think that later on it would be interesting
to merge collector.zope.org there as well.

| >     * Most objects have the creator set to 'sidnei'. That will be
| >     fixed before the final version
| >     * Most links on the frontpage don't work yet
| >
| > For bug reports, please refer to http://collector.zope.org/ZopeOrg
|
| I'm putting "alpha2" in the version field.  Good enough?

Perfect.

| > Please *test* as much as you can and report bugs.
|
| Hehehe
| .
| > The next tentative milestones are:
| >
| >   - Beta by June 25
| >   - Final on early July (if possible on the 4th)
| >
| > As usual, volunteers are welcome, specially now that the great
| > majority of the technical issues were resolved.
|
| Alas, most of us still can't legally participate directly.  Or did you
| mean simply testing and reporting bugs?

Oh, I forgot that part. Will check with Guido.

[]'s
--
Sidnei da Silva (dreamcatcher) <sidnei@x3ng.com.br>
X3ng Web Technology <http://www.x3ng.com.br>