[ZWeb] Re: [Zope-Annce] NZO Alpha2 Announcement

PieterB PieterB <pieterb@gewis.nl>
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:42:53 +0200 (CEST)

> | > Is this using any optional build stuff, such as the new malloc?
> | Can you upload your build_script to CVS or send it to me by e-mail
> http://cvs.zope.org/NZO_SiteLayout/buildout_zope_sandbox?rev=1.12&cvsroot=Zope.org&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
Great, I'll have a look...

> | >  > Please *test* as much as you can and report bugs.
> | Are there other things we could help you with?
> What was that issue with the logo? Could you look at it? I cant
> remember what the problem was.
Logo background is RGB 41,90,143, #295A8F.
It's a bit darker blue than the rest op the Zope blue color.
Either make the logo lighter blue, or change the rest of the blue colors
to $295A8F (not websafe btw, see http://www.lynda.com/hexh.html).

I've posted a wishlist entry for a demo.zope.org (similar to
http://demo.plone.org).

I don't remember if I brought this up before... will there be a
temporary old.zope.org (when nzo gets current zope.org). I just had
a project where a newly designed/developed site dropped web traffic
dramatically, because they didn't use proper redirects to handle
the old URL's and because search engines indexes take a while to
update themselves. The number of pages which were in the Google
index dropped to nearly zero, and all users got 404 pages when they
used Google. (it took almost two months to correct this issue!)

I think the best practice to should be:
- migrate content as much as possible
- create rewrite rule to forward www.zope.org/* 404's to old.zope.org/*
- create old.zope.org/robots.txt (disallow spidering of stale content)
- edit the old.zope.org template to warn the user and give him/her
  a link to the new site
- monitor the site using web statistics software
- remove old.zope.org and the rewrite rule

About the zope-web collector: maybe the zope-web-collector mailinglist
can be subscribed to this list (perhaps even digested). Note that
http://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zopeorg-collector isn't listed
on the lists.zope.org (use the option 'advertise list' to advertise
the list).

Pieter