[ZWeb] NZO Alpha Announcement

R. David Murray rdmurray+dated+1049310778.4344a6@bitdance.com
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:12:56 -0500

Jeffrey P Shell <jeffrey@cuemedia.com> wrote:
>[quoting PieterB]
>Another option is to use an extra icon for links that go offsite from
>large link lists, and those links should always open in a new window.

-1 from me.  I hate sites that open pages in new windows.  I wish
that feature had never been added to browsers, and try to use ones
that don't have it.  I suspect I'll be a minority opinion on this
one <grin>.

>decide what to do about "Site Errors".  It's useful to see real errors
>while the site is in development, but many usability guides say that
>end users should never see the word "Error".

I would much much rather see an error message than have a site
simply not work or work badly (and I've run into plenty of sites
where that happens, leaving me confused and frustrated).  If you
just mean generating some more friendly error message that for some
reason tries to avoid using the word "Error", fine.  If you mean
supressing site errors by ignoring them or something, I'm against
it.

>All Zope Exits links should open in a new window (preferably a window
>of the same name - <a target="zopeexits" ...>).

Again, -1 from the minority seats, here.  It *says* exit; I know
I'm going to some other site, so you don't have to screw up my
window layout by popping up a new window I didn't request.  If I
want it in a new window, *I'll* tell the browser to do that.
And I *really* *really* hate it when popups have names like you
suggest, since that means if I go back to the first window and
click another link, *some other window changes*, one that may
no longer even be visible (and usually isn't, with the window
manager I use).  Which leaves me thinking the site is broken
until I notice...and it changes a page I was purposely keeping up
because I wanted to refer back to it later, which is even more
frustrating.

--RDM