[ZWeb] http://zope.org/Documentation/Guides/

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Sun Aug 22 15:25:18 EDT 2004

On Sunday 22 August 2004 05:34 am, Chris Withers wrote:
> I have two hypopthesis:
>
> 1. Some search engine or other spider is ocassionally crawling some
> non-cached and very CPU intensive pages.
>
> 2. Something silly has happened that's left each of the clients on app1
> in single-threaded mode, so more than two simultaneous requests just get
> blocked.

Hypthesis 3: it's the network.  Perhaps the load balancer or some other box is
dropping packets.  I don't think I saw a delay when I accessed the site
through an SSH tunnel (to reach a specific app server).

> FWIW, I'm not sure how useful it really is to cache a site that should
> be as dynamic as Zope.org tothe extent we appear to have to to make it
> work fast enough. To me, it feels like there's something fundamentally
> wrong somewhere given that the load doesn't seem THAT high, and the site
> seems to be erratically crippled rather than generally bogged down :-/

The front page loads thousands of objects from the catalog, so it needs to be
cached.  The rest probably doesn't need to be cached (and mostly isn't.)

Shane