[ZWeb] "Zope Exits"

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 05:24:27 EDT 2004

Mark wrote:
>> I'm sorry you take offence at this, but unless you can say otherwise,
>> it is an accurate summary of your business model.
>
> Your point is a simplification and not a representative at all of what
> we are trying to do with ZopeMag.

Then what is?

> But my point that ZopeMag is the only Zope Magazine remains valid.

So what? Simplistix is the only official ReportLab partner for Zope
projects, I don't see how being unique justifies free advertising...

> Possibly, Paul has left this list -- but ZopeMag didn't join ZEA at the
> time to start a bidding network but instead to
> help fund an organization to promote Zope use in Europe. Why don't you
> ask him for a statement?

Paul? Do you want the "Zope Exits" link? If you do, how would you
justify it?

>> """
>> Sites that are centered around supporting the Zope community and do
>> not exist primarily to charge for services or content relating to the
>> site.
>> """
>
> With that definition one could argue that not even Zope.org qualifies.

Yes, btu Zope.rog doesn't need to link to itself ;-)

> What a lot of people don't get is that an investment in time is the
> first step to a financial investment in professional
> Zope services.

On the contrary, I think the people who object to commercial "Zope
Exits" "get" just this...

> If people like what they see in for example the Zope Book (they consider
> the technology viable) they will in all probability pay for
> assistance/consulting or a training session at a later date while they
> try to accomplish the project.

Indeed.

> Looking at Zope Corp's business model
> Zope.org is designed to instill a want -- a want that they ideally serve.

Well, from everything I've heard Rob Page say recently, that's not the
case...

> Following your definition not even Zope would qualify as a Zope exit --
> and that would be a shame!

Zope Corporation? I'd say definitely not. They have plenty of ways to
excercise their control of the brand as a whole, which they are already
doing. Out of interest, if this is crucial to Zope.com, why is Zope.com
not a Zope Exit already?

> And by the way when a company evaluates a technology they typically will
> also look at the entire eco system which
> includes questions like:
>
> - Is local, reliable service available?
> - What about Training?
> - What about Documentation?

I believe I'm well versed in egg sucking already, thankyou...

> If you could not earn at least a part of your living providing Zope
> based services would you be able to spend as much time with Zope and
> have such a vested interest in helping with the community site? I
> honestly doubt it. Not that you are not an honorable man :-)

I dunno what you're driving at here, I would emphasise that I'm not
angling for a link in Zope Exits.

> Zope.org is selling you man! (ok, maybe the site could be a better
> seller -- but we are all working on it).

No, it isn't. My company is not currently listed anywhere on Zope.org,
except perhaps on my member page. I do what I do because I want to see a
better site as a whole.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk