[ZWeb] Moving /custom back into the repository

Michael Haubenwallner michael at d2m.at
Tue Aug 24 16:37:29 EDT 2004

Chris Withers wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Would anyone have any objections to me moving the changes that are
> currently in portal_skins/custom back into the skin layer on disk?

changes made in custom folder are changes to files that come with
product distribution.

if you add the changes to the filesystem skins and you ever want to
update a product all changes will be lost - except you port the changes
made to zope.org back to the original products.

> That seems like a much better place to make changes and would let us
> more easily see who made what changes and why.
>
> I'd also propose a policy of deleting the "custom" layer to prevent it

Deleting the custom folder or any (atm not existing) other TTW defined
folders under portal_skins is against CMF philosophy of customization.

> being abused as it has been in the future...

this is a freudian lapsus - no ?

Possible solution: collect all files under 'custom' into a new
CustomSkin product or add them to the NZO skin.

Anyway, access to the skins will then need a signed NDA agreement, maybe
ssh access and some knowledge with svn.

Michael