[ZWeb] Lightweight approval process using versions?

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Tue Aug 24 18:40:16 EDT 2004

Jens Vagelpohl <jens at dataflake.org> wrote:

>>> Don't know if this makes sense (I haven't worked with them much), but
>>> why not use Zope versions for proposed changes, so that they're
>>> "quarantined" for a short comment period?
>>>
>>> It seems like this would keep the site relatively stable for visitors,
>>> allow interested parties to see exactly how the changes would look and
>>> behave, and make implementing the change as easy as abandoning it.
>
> Great idea, but that would spell doom for the ZODB. Versions are
> dangerous for any site that is catalog driven.

It is possible that versions would actually work here, at least where
the stuff folks are working on is "software" (templates, in particular)
rather than "content":  such cases wouldn't interact with the catalog at
all, as long as those testing the changes were careful to leave the
version before doing "contentish" operations.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com