[ZWeb] "Zope Exits"

Chris Withers cwithers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 03:00:03 EDT 2004

Mark wrote:
>> So what? Simplistix is the only official ReportLab partner for Zope
>> projects, I don't see how being unique justifies free advertising...
>
> In my opinion their is a huge difference between providing a ton of free
> documentation by our two Zope sites
> and that as far as community value is concerned.

I could say that my company provides a tonne of free service to the
community by answering mailing list posts, running bug days, fixing
software, monitoring zope.org, providing tonnes of free software.

I'm still not angling for a link in "Zope Exits"

> Really? That's nice to know. I'm not sure you understand what I'm
> getting at though.

Then feel free to explain...

> I was angling at the supposed non-commercial angle in general. I don't
> know where this weird shame comes from
> in the Open Source world were commercially funded projects, entities,
> are supposedly less worthy than "pure 100%" community created software
> or services. This is bunk.

Not less worthy, just each to their own place. Commercial entities
should be capable of doing their own marketing. The other big drive is
that by keeping ALL commercial stuff from main community sites, you
avoid the bitter "Company X got such and such, why does my Company Y not
get such and such" arguments.

> Honestly I think its unfair for 4 people to decide what belongs their.
> We should take Michael's Zope Exits page idea and
> add a voting system so that the 10 most popular are displayed on the
> front page. This would allow for the following:
>
> - Its certainly more democratic
> - The list would fluctuate as sites become more or less valuable
> - we no longer have to maintain the list

Okay, you build the software, we'll use it. Please make sure you provide
  systems that provide good audit trail so any acusations ofvote rigging
can be proved false.

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk