[ZWeb] "Zope Exits"

Mark mark at zopemag.com
Wed Aug 25 13:37:24 EDT 2004

Hello Ausum,

On Aug 25, 2004, at 5:39 PM, Ausum Studio wrote:

>> As for why Plone is there, it's because we're a huge, well-known,
>> highly-successful project built extending Zope (and hardly a "single
>> product"--the Plonesphere comprises about 200 individual products at
>> this point).
>
> Hold on, Joel.
>
> Even the behaviour of Plone supporters, it is still a product within a
> Zope
> product. Sincerely I don't see any reason why it should be treated
> differently from any other product/framework built on top of Zope.

I don't think its a Plone vs. other Zope based software at all.

The problem that I have with Chris' proposed policy is that it focuses
on excluding when I would argue the focus should be
on including, recognizing and highlighting unique or very popular Zope
based solutions or sites.

Plone is unique because more than any other Zope based solution it has
brought people to install Zope (by
installing Plone). CPS and Silva look like they have a good shot at
building equally loyal following.

At the DC ZUG meeting people were keeping a very open mind and were not
getting into a Plone is better than Silva debate but talking
pragmatically about Silva may be a better fit for scenario than Plone.
Nice crowd and I believe reflective of the Zope community at large.

I have proposed in a previous email a short term solution which doesn't
require any code but long term I really would like to see the main Zope
Exits be a recognition of some kind similar to what Andy tried to
start:

http://www.zopezen.org/Members/zopista/1027722213

How about making Zope Exits a content type which allows people to
categorize their exits similar to what Michael had proposed? Each entry
has a flag only admins can set propelling them to the "main" Zope
Exits.
The decision for what goes into the main category is made by popular
vote called for every 6 months or year. If we fix a number like 10 that
means their should be some rotation and by extension recognition.

Seems a lot more democratic then a list of 4 for and 5 against, etc.

> As pointed out by Jim Fulton, the community deserves a healthy
> ecosystem of
> both commercial and no commercial activities, and IMO the impartiality
> and
> objectivity are crucial as fairness factors.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Cheers,

Mark