[ZWeb] Front Page & Other Changes

Ken Manheimer klm at zope.com
Wed Aug 25 13:45:12 EDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Chris Withers wrote:

> Ken Manheimer wrote:

> > I thought the idea is to use IRC is for collision avoidance.  When you're
> > actually doing some management activity on zope.org, first log into IRC and
> > let others there know where you're heading.  Then, keep an eye on the IRC
> > session while you're working.  If everyone does this, then you'll be able
> > to notice each other and, well, avoid colliding.  (Ack, nack - rts?  Cts.
> > Dtr xoff!  Xon, dsr.  Ten-four, rover, out and over. :)
>
> Yep, that's the idea, however I don't see any harm in having realtime
> discussions there about zope.org too. Maybe the channel should be logged
> somewhere, then people who work offline could catch up?

I don't see any harm in realtime discussions, but i do see harm in having
the discussion stop there.  I would be dismayed to have to check the IRC
logs as well as the maillist in order to track the thinking. I really
don't think we should add that extra impedance to participation and
cohesion.

So, have discussions on IRC (and in person, and via telegraph, i don't
care how), but i suggest that the maillist is for airing of the groups
thinking, and nuggets derived from such discussions which would be of
interest to this group be synopsized to this list.  At the least,
decisions reached should be posted here.

> > Are only your own
> > ideas about reorganizing worth considering, all others being too
> > complicated?
>
> Of course not, my point is that lots of thinking has already been done, and I
> think the structure of Zope.org is just fine, although a few category pages
> could be pruned out. I think the main work needs to be removal of cruft and
> editing and updating of content...

Evidently some people disagree.  Maybe you're right, maybe they're right -
but it's probably somewhere in between.  Playing nice doesn't mean having
to nod and agree with everything, it just means leaving room for
reasonable discussion.  Dismissing things out-of-hand often (usually)
prevents that, and rarely is necessary or helpful.

> > "Envision Whirled Peas"
>
> pea soup?

Human beans.  (For the completists among you, the "snakebit" quote at the
end of my original message comes from a book, "The Bean Trees", which
involves this pun.)

Whee.

Ken
klm at zope.com