[ZWeb] Systems group

Ken Manheimer klm at zope.com
Wed Jul 7 15:58:36 EDT 2004

Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> writes:

> > I'd like to have a fresh wiki but appreciate you taking the time to
>
> Whoops, is zopewiki's mandate slipping ? New wiki coming on zope.org ?

I like that you're getting some traction on zope documentation at zopewiki
- and that the maintenance effort is being offloaded from zope.org folk,
whoever that folk are.  Thanks for that.  That said, i for one like the
idea of having visitors to zope.org easily find the documentation about
zope.org's upkeep right there.

It seems like it's an intrinsic part of understanding the site, and would
be helpful - crucial, even - for steering people who would be willing to
help with the effort to the effort.  For that reason i'd like to see it
linked in a very noticable way on the front page.  I also think the "eat
your own dogfood" thing would be crucial here, given that the mandate is to
try to get the system reasonable useful.  If we can't get it useful enough
for our own working documents/discussions, then we've failed.

(The system configuration details are kept in subversion so they're
available when they're most needed, in the event of system failure.)

I'm not sure what the best division of resources between zopewiki.org and
zope.org would be, once zope.org gets more usable.  As i understand it, one
of the key thrusts of this project is to both enable and promote community
involvement in the maintenance of the content and systems side of zope.org,
so maybe at some point it would make sense to shift the locus of the docs
back to zope.org.  Dunno.

> Note the zwiki installation on zope.org has a number of problems - I mean
> broken things, not just skin gripes - I forget what, but they're in the
> collector. I can guide/assist anyone working on this. I'd recommend an
> upgrade to 0.32.

I'll see if there's anything i can do to foster the upgrade happening, one
way or another.

Ken