[ZWeb] zope.org: HowTo listings broken

Michael Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Thu Jul 8 19:24:53 EDT 2004

Michael Haubenwallner wrote:

> Problem:
> http://www.zope.org/Documentation/How-To/
> Listing of 'HowTos' is incorrect - objects created after the transition
> to Plone are not found by the query.
>
> Reason:
> There are 2 'HowTo' products - one from old.zope.org and the one from
> CMF now. The existing query selects for meta_type in ['How-To','HowTo'].
> The new 'HowTo' objects have a meta_type of 'Document' and a portal_type
> of 'HowTo'. Only old HowTos are returned by the query.
>
> Solution:
> - create a new Query (ZPT and Script) to show a combined listing
>
> Additional problem:
> - the now added new HowTos are not well suited for display in the
> listing because of missing or incomplete titles
> - title-gardening will be needed for existing HowTos
> - titles for HowTos should be enforced by workflow
>
> What do you think?

Michael, this is a known problem (though not one raised publicly
before). Your solution matches in outline one I proposed to Brian Lloyd
several months ago. You can find a page that lists *only* the new How-To
objects here:
<http://www.zope.org/Documentation/How-To/index_test>

You'll find (if you examine that page while logged out) that little
title-gardening is actually required. Most of objects missing titles are
actually unpublished.

I've been holding off on this and some other similar surgery (such as
the breakage in the Product listings) until the ZCatalog problems can be
fixed (or some reasonable facsimile thereof).

--
- Michael R. Bernstein  |  Author of Zope Bible
   michaelbernstein.com  |  & Zope.org Webmaster