[ZWeb] ZCatalog Issues

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Jul 14 01:33:09 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 06:29 am, Chris Withers wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > On Sunday 11 July 2004 10:06 am, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> >>The first step I would take is to reduce the number of database
> >>connections to 3 for both appservers, just to see how much relief that
> >>brings. I would also fill the box with 4 GB RAM (it's cheap), and then
> >>start to manipulate the cache sizes.
> >
> > Good advice, thanks.
>
> Has anyone done this?
>
> Anyone mind if I do?

Do we want to limit the number of database connections or the number of
threads?  I've limited the number of database connections before using
dbtab.conf, but I only did it that way for convenience in a particular
situation.  Zope usually has 4 threads that share up to 7 connections.
Zope's effective concurrency is the lower of the two numbers, but threads
consume operating system resources while never-opened connections do not.  So
we ought to reduce threads first.

Shane