[ZWeb] Recent changes to zope.org software?

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Mon Jul 26 12:46:04 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Andrew Sawyers wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>

>>> Have there been any recent changes to the zope.org software?
>

> This was too vague a question. Sorry.
>
> The performance of the site seemed to be really bad earlier today.
> I was wondering what might have changed that could have affected
> performance.
>

>> I installed Report Labs the other day because it was not migrated (we
>> rebuilt python after the move).
>

> Is this used to do on-line pdf generation?
>
>  > If there were other packages installed
>
>> in site-packages, they're likely missing as well.  I'll try to get
>> some bandwidth to look at this on the old server tomorrow.
>

> OK. Tres is going to look at the state of the build-out process.
> There was originally a build-out script/make file, but I suspect
> it's out of sync with the software.  I'd like to get to the point
> where we can rebuild the software automatically.

We are close.  Interested parties please try the following:

   $ svn co svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/zope.org/buildout
   $ cd buildout
   $ make
   $ bin/zeoctl start
   $ bin/zopectl start # need to tweak etc/zope.conf first

Note a couple of things about the current state:

   - It relies on many more "local" versions of software than is sane
     (there are a ton of things I had to vendor-import to make a
     reproducible build).  The production server should *never* run
     from un-tagged head or branch checkouts!  All the "local imports"
     I made have the tag '${PRODUCT_NAME}-zopeorg_20040721'.

   - One priority would be to work at removing ost of those local
     imports, replacing them with released versions.  The ZopeOrg
     product itself (and maybe CMFPackage) might remain "unreleased",
     but should still have a "real" tag associtated with them.

   - Another priority would be to evalutate the feasibility of getting
     Zope, CMF, etc. upgraded to current versions (e.g., the Zope we
     are running is pre-Crack-a-Zope).  At a minimum, I would recommend
     moving to Zope 2.6.4 and CMF 1.3.3;  better would be to get to
     Zope 2.7.2 and CMF 1.4.5 (that might require a Plone upgrade, as
     well).  More risky would be to try to get up and running on some
     tagged pre-2.8 version (but it would allow us to begin exercising
     that codebase, a la dogfood).

   - I didn't incorporate all the "legacy" products needed for the
     "cruft" objects in the old (but still current) ZODB.  I would argue
     that we should do a true migration into a new ZODB storage, leaving
     behind such objects, anyway.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com