[ZWeb] Reply-To mailing lists policy

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Feb 3 11:53:00 EST 2005

I promise this is the last time I'll ever reply in one of
these threads (fingers crossed)...

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:00:26PM +0100, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2005, at 21:53, Chris McDonough wrote:
> >I actually do like the "reply to sender, cc to list" as-is now, if only
> >because when I respond to a list message, and people respond to that,
> >their responses can show up in my Inbox rather than in my zope list
> >folder.  It's easier for me to keep track of what's "important" that
> >way, although I think it's exactly what you're complaining about.
> >Remember, though: you do have a killfile. ;-)
>
> It is the same, but in an inverse way: List mail is never really
> important and gets sorted into folders. I don't want it directly in my
> Inbox, which is for important stuff.

This procmail rule works for me, taken directly from
man procmailex:

# Weed out duplicate posts (e.g. to list AND to me)
       :0 Wh: msgid.lock
       | formail -D 8192 .msgid.cache

... but note that it also means that if people cross-post, the
message only shows up in one folder.

I also have rules like this one, that puts messages
to zope-web in its own folder:

        :0:
        * ^TO.*zope-web.*
        zope-web

Personally I don't like sending mail to both the list
and the recipient, because I don't like *getting* duplicates
so why would I send them? So I also have entries like this
in my .muttrc for the email client that Sucks Less (TM):

lists zope at zope.org
lists zope-cmf at zope.org

Then when I reply, I hit "l"  and the reply goes to the
list address only.

> *ALL* other lists I am on (and there are tons) handle it the other way,
> where Reply To is always the list itself.

I share your preference, but this argument periodically comes
up and NEVER goes anywhere. There's no point to doing it again.

FWIW, I just did a quick look at the lists I'm on:

mangle Reply-To:        3
don't mangle Reply-To: 20

... so I'm a bit surprised that your list sample is so
different from mine.

... and yes, I have occasionally seen arguments on the lists that
set Reply-To that it should be taken away.  Some people just don't
agree with us! I have had to accept that their preference
is valid, just as mine is.

FWIW, IIRC I have *never* seen a list change policy either way,
as a result of one of these discussions.

excessive-acronymizing'ly yrs,

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com